In 1578, Friars Juan de Plasencia and Diego de Oropesa began the conversion of the natives who would eventually constitute the town of Lucban, but for lack of missionaries, it did not have a resident curate until 1595, when Friar Miguel de Talavera was appointed as its first parish priest. In that same year he built a wooden church, and Marcos Tigla was named as the first gobernadorcillo. A powerful typhoon ruined the church in 1629. This was the period when the pueblo was transferred to the site where it is situated now. The construction of a new church made of stone roofed with nipa began in 1630 and was finished in 1640. The building of a convent, also made of stone, started in 1640 and ended in 1650. Both edifices were roofed with tiles in 1683 under the management of Friar Francisco de Huerta. The church and convent were ravaged by fire in 1733; the only things saved were a ciborium with consecrated hosts a statue of the Immaculate Conception. In the same year, repairs were done under the administration of Friar Pascual Martinez, and the walls of the church and the convent were elevated by three feet. This project was completed in 1738. In 1743, a new casa parroquial was built. In 1748, the construction of a church doorway began; it was finished in 1768. The transept was built in 1706. Repairs of the parish buildings were done in 1855 under the direction of Friar Victorino del Moral, who had an imposing staircase built in the convent. In 1893, Friar Francisco Garcia Clemente roofed the convent with galvanized sheets. The cemetery with its chapel was built by Friar Samuel Mena. In 1749, the school buildings made of stone were constructed, but they fell into ruins in 1824. Under Friar Mena's direction, new classrooms, made of stone and roofed with galvanized sheets, were built. The parish priest also managed the building of a magnificent Tribunal in 1703. In 1945, during the World War II, the church was partially destroyed; it was reconstructed by the Philippine Historical Commission in 1966.