Although Mauban began to formed in 1583, it is not clear, according to the records in the Franciscan archives, when the parish had its first resident priest. Only in the capitular list of 1600 does the name of Friar Farnando Moraga appear as the first curate of his town. according to tradition, Mauban was first situated in a sitio called Pinagbayanan, a leagues away from its oresent location. It was later transferred to the sitio of Balaybalay, two leagues away from Pinagbayanan. From Balaybalay it was moved to the mountain called Soledad, half a league away from the sea. It was finally moved to its present site in 1647, during the curacy of Friar Diego de Rivera. The church, which was under the advocacy of St.Bonaventure and made of masonry in 1647, was demolished and reconstructed with hewn stone in 1769 during the term of Friar Francisco Rosada de Brozas. The rebuilding of the church and the construction of the belfry in the Corinthian style were completed in 1773. A convent was also built that year. But in 1830, an earthquake devastated the church walls and belfry as well as the convent. The Superior Government gave 1,500 pesos for the repair begun by Fr. Pedro Nicolas, a secular priest, and continued from 1836 until its completion in 1845 under Friar Manuel Benitez. These edifices were again ravaged by earthquakes in 1880. In 1891, Friar Nicolas Santos reconstructed the church with stone and wood, roofing it with galvanized sheets. Friar Jose Maria del Fregenal later rebuilt the choir loft, the three retablos and the pulpit. He also constructed the cemetery outside the town. The portion of the belfry that survived the 1880 earthquakes was partially destroyed by the earthquake of August 20, 1937. A primary school was supported by community funds. The pueblo has a visita called Sanjirin, situated in a plain of the southwest coast of Alabat Island.