The Parish of St. Ferdinand was canonically erected by virtue of a decree issued by the bishop of Caceres on March 1, 1881. In the second half of the 19th century, certain principles from Cota, Ibabang Dupay, Ilayang Dupay, Gulang-gulang, Iyam Silangan and several other barrios decided to seek the established of their own pueblo and parroquia independently from the town of Tayabas. Friar Mariano Granja, then the parish priest of Tayabas and later the first curate of Lucena, drafted the petition, which was sent to Spain. The royal approval was received by the governor-general on November 3, 1879 and forwarded to the alcalde of the town of Tayabas the following year. Friar Granja spent all his savings for the construction of the edifices of the parish. he built a church, one half of it with masonry and the other half with wood; it was ravaged by a typhoon a few years after its construction. The church was rebuilt with masonry but was devoured by fire in 1887. Thereupon it was determined to rebuild it, with galvanized sheets for roofing. The convent of stone and wood also burned down in 1887; it was rebuilt by Friar Teodoro Fernandez in 1891. The parish likewise owes the establishment of the cemetery made of stone as well as the primary school for boys and girls built with wooden planks, and the Tribunal made of stone and wood, to Friar Granja. He built a college for women, which was approved by the Superior Government in 1892. In the beginning the professors were three Filipinas from Tayabas who were educated at the Cancordia College in Manila. During the first school year, the school had 30 internas and 60 externas. When General Weyler visited it in 1893, he was so satisfied and even enthusiastic about the instruction received by the female students that he promised to give the teachers a special reward. Moreover, Friar Granja founded a hospital managed by women
belonging to the Third Order of Saint Francis. It was furnished with everything it needed, including a small pharmacy. The religious curates of Lucena took care of the maintenance and linens of the hospital. In the construction and maintenance of all the aforesaid edifices, Friar Granja used all that he earned from his incomes and stipends as curate and all that he could save when he administered the parish of Tayabas. He asked the help of the faithful who had the means when his resources were not enough to meet demands of the apostolate A new convent adjacent to the cathedral was built during the tenure of Msgr. Pedrito Baldovino. The most recent additions are the Bishop Alfredo Maria Obviar Building and the Edificio de San Fernando constructed during the terms of Msgr. Oscar Leaño and Msgr. Leandro Castro, respectively.