The town of Pagbilao began to formed in 1685, but only in 1688 did it get its first resident parish priest, Friar Cristobal Montanchez. The first name of the town was Binahaan since it was situated on the banks of Binahaan River. It was also in 1688 that the church, convent and school were built. The following year, Friar Pedro Recio de Zurita administered Binahaan, also called Daungan Pari as the priest used to disembreak there. Don Gabriel de Gruselacqui y Arriola, Cavallero de Santiago, asked the Spanish authorities to exempt the inhabitants of Binahaan from playing tribute for ten years (1686-1696) to enable them to build their church, homes and other things. Ultimately, it wuold lead to the conservation of this newly founded pueblo in the province of Tayabas. In 1724, the parish of St. Catherine was revived with the assignment of Friar Francisco Pobre as its curate. He renovated the parish edifices. In 1727, the town was transferred to where it is situated today and renamed Pagbilao. In 1729, Friar Francisco Javier de la Asuncion was named minister of the town. In 1746, Friar Francisco Badajoz de la Soledad administered Pagbilao. In 1845, the beautiful transept of the church was renovated under the direction of Friar Victoriano Peraleja, who also built the casa parroquial. The Tribunal was made of wood. The primary school was suppeoted by cummunityfunds. The church and convent were repaired and cleaned during the term of Friar Jesus Roman, who used tiles in both edifices, spending his own savings for the project. He also restored the atrium of the church. The belfry was constructed by Friar Eugenio Gomez Miguel and Friar Benito de los Infantes from 1877 to 1844. The old cemetery was closed; Friar Leandro Corrales began the construction of a new one with stone, which was finished by Friar Julian Candado in 1891. The school buildings, made of stone and wood and
roofed with galvanized iron, were built in 1875 by Friar Manuel Rodriguez. A house for the lady teacher was constructed in the school for girls. Friar Rodriguez endowed the schools in Europe and america. All these projects were financed by his personal savings. The Tribunal was built under the direction of Friar Infantes, with the assistance of a certain Mr. Mendoza.