In 1635, the Moros ravanged Cabuyao, capturing many of its inhabitants and burning the pueblo. Around 800 survivors fled. Part of them took refuge in the sitio of Atimonan and another part settled in the sitio of Minanucan. From them a new town was formed in 1637. Its first curate was Friar Juan Garcia. In 1638, the church, which was under the advocacy of the Immaculate Conception of Our Lady, the convent and the school buildings were constructed with the wood and nipa. These edifices and the entire town were burned by the Dutch in 1640. In 1643, a new church was constructed with stone under the direction of Friar Cristobal de Fuensalida. Unfortunately, a fire damaged it in 1648. Friar de Fuensalida rebuilt it in 1650, but a few years later it was ravaged by an earthquake. Finally, in 1683, the church that still exists today, with its beautiful transept, was constructed under the direction of Friar Jose de Jesus Maria, who designed it himself. A very solid edifice, the church was completed in 1696. The convent was likewise finished that year. The stones used were brought from Mauban. To purify the sand of its salt content, it was washed for a year before being mixed with stone and lime. Friar de Jesus Maria was not merely content with directing the construction work for, following the example of other missionaries, he did the main work himself by hewing the stones, digging the trenches fir laying the foundations, joining stones and making furnaces. It helped that he was well-built, tall and fond traveling on foot. By being personally involved in the actual work, he motivated the townspeople to support the construction. This explains why even though the town had only 69 tributes at that time, it was able to build great edifices that have survived the test of time. It is said that the town capitan ordered everyone, from child to adult, to cooperate in building the church. Grown males
working in the barrios were required to bring to town a bamboo pole ten pieces of uway each afternoon. That dalagas had to get a pail of sand from the seashore and pile it at the patio. The children had to pull wood and carry stones. In 1894, the church and convent were roofed with galvanized sheets by Friar Braulio Pelaz. The old cemetery was renovated by Friar Santiago Martin and Friar Nicolas Santos. The chapel was built under the direction of Friar Pelaz in 1892. The old Tribunal, which had been abandoned, was restored by Friar Eugenio Gomez Miguel with the assistance of Capitan Placido Urgeno. A primary school was supported by community funds. At some point in time, Nuestra Señora de los Angeles became the pueblo's pastrones. It was not uncommon for a town to change its patron saint. For instance, at its foundation in 1578, Quipayo, Camarines Sur, was under the advocacy of the Immaculate Conception, but in 1659, San Roque was declared its patron saint. Similarly, the church of Canaman, Camarines Sur, was originally dedicated to the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary. The remains of Pedro Dimas Cortes, a native of Salaya, near Queretaro, in America, are buried in the right side of sanctuary, adjacent to the wall and about four steps from the altar. He lived as a hermit for 24 years in the forests between Atimonan ang Gumaca. He died on July 23, 1715, comforted by Friar Gabriel de San Antonio, who wrote on his admirable life.