This town, whose old name was Nayum began to be formed in 1600 during which its first parish priest Friar Juan de Sta. Clara, dedicated the first church building to St. James the Apostle. Friar Geronimo de Villanueva administered Nayum in 1602. In the succeeding years, among those who administered it was Friar Francisco de San Esteban. In 1605 Friar Pedro de Talavera was appointed as president of Nayum. In 1606 NAyum was turned over to the Agustinians who administered it jointly with San Pablo. In 1794, Nayum was returned to the administration of the Franciscans. In the olden times, Tiaong used to be situated in the site now known as Nayum, which was under the jurisdiction of Sariaya. It was the Augustinian who transferred the town to its present site. The primary school was house in the tribunal and supported by community funds.