The foundation of Sariaya begun in 1582, the year when it was listed in the Franciscan registries although there is no record of its founder or first missionary. Friar Alonso Guerrero is said to have administered in Sariaya in 1597. According to the old capitulars list, the Franciscan Chapter appointed Friar Miguel de Linares as the president of the Franciscan convent of Santa Clara in this town in 1599. But he got sick and retired in Manila, where he died in 1600. In that same year, Friar Andres de San Miguel was named President of Sariaya, but he died in 1601 in Mahayhay. Under Friar de Linares’ administration, the church, convent and school building were constructed. 1605, due to the shortage of missionaries, Sariaya was merge with Tayabas. It remained thus until 1631, when Friar Francisco de Yevenes was appointed as its president, as attested to by the Franciscan capitular list. In 1605, the parish building were rebuilt with stone, but these were destroyed by either a conflagration or an earthquake. In 1631, the town was transferred to the bank of River Cayanuang. In 1632, the building of a new church of stone and dedicated to St. Francis of Assisi began; it was completed in 1641. In 1703, the town was again moved to the sitio called Lamangbayan, and a new stone church was built under the direction of Friar Martin de Talavera. In 1731, because of the eruption of Mount Banahaw, the town was again transferred to another place. In 1743, earthquake caused the lake of Mount Banahaw to burst, demolishing almost the entire town. The pueblo was moved to the site where it stands today. A new church and a convent, both of stone, were built under the direction of Friar Joaquin Alapon in 1748. Both edifes were repaired, cleaned and painted in 1850 under the direction of Friar Andres Alvarez, who demolished the casa parroquial and built a better one. From 1872 until 1883, Friar Mariano
Rodriguez built an airy transept, which was repaired in 1896 by Friar Juan de Dios Villajos, who put a ceiling of zinc in the transept and presbytery and rebuilt the sacristy, thus eliminating much humidity. He elevated the floor by using boulder ove which he put a cement pavement. The school buildings, made of stone in their lower parts and wood in their upper parts, were constructed in 1874 by Capitan Ruperto, under the curacy of Friar Juan Velloon, who gave a parcel of land belonging to the Church for this purpose. The church of Sariaya, where the image of the Crucified Christ of Burgos is venerated by pilgrims every Friday, is one of the four diocesan shrines. The popular image was brought to the Philippines by a galleon and installed in the original church in Tumbaga. The church and the settlement were burned during a Moro attack, but the image was found intact amidst the ashes. When the town was transferred to its new site, the image was wrapped in white cloth and carried by four men. After resting under a tree, the four men found the image to be extremely heavy and could not lift it even with help from other townspeople. Taking it as a heavenly sign, they built the new church on the site.