Friar Apolinario Villafuerte came to Candelaria in 1884 as its first priest. Friar Luis Mansilla constructed the church, convent and school buildings made of nipa and bamboo. Friar Perfecto Mandez Caravaca was the curate in 1889. In 1891 Friar Telesforo del Rio bulit the church with masonry and wood, roofing it with galvanized sheets. He also began building a casa parroquial, which was completed in 1897 by Friar Severiano Marcos, who spent his own savings of 450 pesos for the edifice, its upper part made of wood and lower part made of stone. Noteworthy was the cooperation of Capitan Pedro de Gala and some residents of the town in the project. The construction of the schools with wood was done under the initiative and supervision of Friar de Rio. In 1925, Father Toribio Ilao directed the renovation of the church. Fr. Reymundo Esquenet, from Belgium, began to serve as curate in 1927. He renovated the altar and patio, among other things. In 1945, he was killed by the Japanese, who burned the church. It was during the long curacy of Msgr. Juan Rapiñan that Fr. Delfin Babilonia, assistant parish priest, initiated the building of the Catholic Center that presently houses the priests residence and parochial offices. Msgr. Simeon Racelis built a new parish office. Other structures such as the renovated choir loft, small auditorium and outdoor stage were constructed during the terms of Msgr. Mariano Melicia, Msgr. Beato Racelis and Msgr. Carlos Pedro Herrera. Msgr. Alfredo LaO also served as curate.Castro, respectively.