The foundation of this town began in 1840. Its first parish priest, Friar Carlos Tena, constructed the church and convent with wood. It was friar Herminigildo Mones who established the foundation of the church made of stone, a project that was continued by Friar Tomas Moya in 1882, Friar Manuel Garcia frim 1883 until 1885 anf Friar Sebastian dela Torre until 1889. Friar Sabino Campaya finally finished it in 1893. The casa parroquial was repaired by Friar Garcia and Friar Campaya, who used stone for its lower part. The school buildings made of wood, were constructed in 1889under the curacy of Friar Agapito Lopez, who supported the orders of Governor Naranjo. The tribunal made of stone and wood, was build in 1892under the supervision of Friar Campaya, with the help of Don Severino Villaflorand certain Capitan Tinio. Among the priest who served as curate of Dolored were Msgr. Juanito Abueva, Msgr. Pedrito Baldovino, Fr. Benjamin Roda, Msgr. Noe Loredo and Fr. Carmelo Villocillo.Dolores is one of the four Diocesan Shrines.